How to apply for a marriage license
- Both parties must be present in the Clerk’s Office at the time of application. If one party cannot be present, that party shall sign the competed application before a notary prior to the other applicant’s arrival at the Clerk’s Office.
- Certified Copies of birth certificates for both parties are required. Louisiana Birth Certificates may be purchased from the State through the Clerk’s Office.
- Social Security Numbers are required.
- One of the following forms of ID is required: a.): a valid and unexpired driver’s license, b.) a government issued ID card, c.) a valid and unexpired password, or d.) an unexpired Visa accompanied by U.S. Form I-94.
- If you have completed the paper application, please have this filled out before you come to the Clerk’s Office. If you have completed the marriage online application, please have the confirmation number available.
- $32.50 fee for marriage license in cash, check or credit card. This office will issue duplicate originals for you to keep one for your records.
- If a certified copy of a Louisiana birth certificate is needed, $34 fee per copy in cash or credit card (fee mandated by state). PLEASE ALLOW EXTRA TIME (at least 30 minutes).
- Armed Forces members need not be present to sign the license before a Deputy Clerk if the co-applicant attaches a copy of the member’s Military ID.
- If one party cannot be present to sign the license before a Deputy Clerk, the application may be signed before a Notary Public.
- If an applicant does not have a social security number, a valid and unexpired passport from the country of the applicant’s birth or an unexpired visa, accompanied by a Form I-94 issued by the U.S. is required.
- If an applicant was born outside of the U.S. and does not have a U.S. certified birth certificate, all of the following must be provided: a certified copy of the person’s birth certificate from the place of birth, a translation to English of the birth certificate (if it is not in English), including a sworn declaration of translation, and a valid and unexpired passport or unexpired visa with U.S. issued Form I-94 verifying applicant is lawfully in the country.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION NEEDED:
- The license is valid for thirty (30) days; if not used, it must be returned to the Clerk’s Office to be renewed. An additional fee is charged for renewal. If the license is not used, it should be returned to be cancelled off the books. The fee is not refunded.
- Two (2) adult witnesses are required to sign the marriage license and certificate of marriage at the time of the ceremony.
- The original marriage license and certificate of marriage shall be delivered to the Clerk’s Office for recording within 30 days after the marriage ceremony.
- Ministers are required to register with the Clerk of Court according to Act 229 of 1952.
Marriage Translation Certificate
COVENANT MARRIAGE LICENSE FORMS
2.) Community Property and Covenant Marriage Laws
Please contact the Clerk of Court office if you have any questions or need additional information. 318-368-3055
OFFICE HOURS: Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM